IIT Delhi Alumni Award for
Outstanding Contribution to National Development
Mr. Avinash Chander obtained B.Tech degree from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT Delhi) in Electrical Engineering in 1972 and M.S. (Spatial Information Tech.), JNTU, Hyderabad. . Mr. Avinash Chander, Distinguished Scientist is the Director of Advanced Systems Laboratory, Hyderabad and an eminent scientist in the field of Missiles.
Mr. Chander joined DRDO in August 1972. A leader in missile technology, he is the Chief Designer of Long Range Missiles System. He has the unique achievement of delivering and deploying three weapon systems viz., A1, A2 and A3. He is currently the Programme Director for the Agni Missile Programme. His latest achievement is the successful development of 3000 kms range Agni-III Missile which is under induction.
AWARDS & HONOURS:
- DRDO Scientist of the year 1989 - Awarded by Dr. PV. Narasimha Rao, Hon’ble Prime Minister of India.
- Astronautical Society of India Award for the year 1997 in the field of Rocketry -
- Awarded by Dr. R. Chidambaram, Principal Scientific Advisor to Govt. of India.
- AGNI Self-Reliance Award in 1999 - Awarded by Sri Atal Behari Vajpayee, Hon’ble Prime Minister of India.
- Dr. Biren Roy Space Science Award in 2000.
- DRDO Award for the year 2007 for Path Breaking Research /Outstanding Technology Development - Awarded by Hon’ble Dr. Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister of India
- Outstanding Technologist Award 2008 by Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar.
- DRDO Technology Leadership Award 2008 - Awarded by Dr. A.K. Anthony, Hon’ble Defence Minister of India.
- Fellow, Indian National Academy of Engineers & Convenor, Sub-Committee of Aerospace Section.
- Fellow, System Society of India.
- Fellow, Andhra Pradesh Academy of Sciences.
- Fellow & Vice-President, Astronautical Society of India.
- Chairman – INSARM & ISAMPE, Hyderabad Chapter.
In honouring Mr. Avinash Chander, IIT Delhi Alumni Association recognizes and appreciates his outstanding contributions to National Development.